[lug] mouse going crazy in linux

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 21:00:06 MST 2007

> In past experience, broken mouse input is the result
> of X expecting PS/2
> and getting IMPS/2 or vice versa.
>
> I've also had kvm's that couldn't cope with wheel
> mice and I had to
> revert IMPS/2 to PS/2 in order to avoid the broken
> behavior.

Thanks for the tip.  I just tried that but it didn't
seem to work.

Because I have the problems on consoles as well
(outside of X), my thought is that it can't just be a
pure X config problem.

Which begs me to ask, how can I tell what the keyboard
is being configured to outside of X  and how would one
change whatever that default is if they wanted to?

One other thing.

How do I absolutely kill X?

If I ctl-alt-backspace to kill x, it doesn't
completely kill X.  It seems like gdm (I think) spawns
another X session immediately.

If I init 3, the console that spawned the X session
just hangs (tty6) and is unusable

If I kill the X process or any process on tty6, it's
still hung?  It just seems to spawn another minigetty.

Is the only way to recover that console to reboot?

thanks for the input.