[lug] Switching from daughter card to mother board resident sound "card"?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 19:50:27 MST 2007

On 2/7/07, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> siegfried wrote:
> [...]
> > Where is this mystery switch that determines which sound card is is used:
> > the daughter card or the motherboard resident card? Why did the daughter
> > card suddenly stop working?
>
> It's the one inside labeled "magic" / "more magic".
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/magic-story.html
>
> Or maybe it's in the BIOS.  Or maybe in your registry.

ROTFL!

In all cases I know of, it's necessary to flip a setting in the BIOS
to allow the onboard sound to be overridden with an card external to
the MB.  As to how this setting could be changed inadvertently -
cosmic rays, static electricity, Windows obstinacy, waving of chicken
feet -- I haven't a clue.

--
Collins Richey