[lug] X11 mouse config, ExplorerPS/2 protocol?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Feb 11 19:14:39 MST 2007

My old mouse is dying, and I have a desktop with a glossy surface that
basic optical mice don't work on. I refuse to use a mouse pad, for one
thing there isn't room for it, for another it's still for mechanical
mice that are a lot of trouble. So I'm trying to get a laser mouse
working, the logitech mx revolution usb mouse.

Some web pages suggest that the FC4 6.8 version of xorg will work with
protocol ExplorerPS/2. I've tried this, setting things like option
buttons 7, and changing zaxis mapping. All I can get to work are two
buttons. The wheel sort of works but not really. The basic left and
right buttons and movement seem normal though. Anyone have a working
InputDevice section for the mx revolution that I can look at? FYI, this
older setup does not have the /dev/input/event* interface, just
/dev/input/mice and /dev/input/mouse0. Changing a distro (to fc6) to use
a slightly different mouse seems like overkill...in any case it seems to
be more of an xorg issue than a distro issue.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net