[lug] X11 mouse config, ExplorerPS/2 protocol?

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Mon Feb 12 08:04:12 MST 2007

The heavens stretched forth and D. Stimits decreed the following on or
about 02/11/2007 10:16 PM:

>> Don't know the answer. I've had several usb scroll mice, and they all
>> worked with ubuntu (Dapper, Edgy, Feisty) without complaint, and I'm
>> sure they would work on Fedora as well. Of course, these are optical
>> mice, and they seem to work equally well on a mouse pad or my desktop
>> (moderately glossy).
>
> This is the latest generation, with all kinds of extra bells and
> whistles I don't really want...it's a 7 button mouse. Apparently the
> protocol is perfectly compatible so far as left and right click goes,
> and so far as actual mouse movement. Is the mouse that you have one of
> the ones with the extra buttons? If so, do you use the ExplorerPS/2
> protocol, or the IMPS/2? Did you have to do extra manual configuration
> of the buttons?

Maybe I missed it, but do you have to use an old version of Xorg and
the mouse driver/protocol?  I've switched over to evdev on all my boxes.
  I started using it to get the tiltwheel working on my MS mouse, but
have then carried over the setup to other differing mice.  But, I know
that evdev had some problems pre-6.9 and maybe pre-7.0.

If you really want to get involved, evdev would be able to set it all up
and then using revoco, you can even use the search button on the mouse
to convert it from free-wheel to click mode and back.

--
Time's Person of the Year, 2006
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/