[lug] How do I mimic the Fedora and SuSE installer's feature of creating LVMs with the xubuntu installer?

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Fri Feb 16 00:11:57 MST 2007

OK, I've decided I don't like debian and I'm trying ubuntu. Since I don't
understand LVM I thought maybe a good way to learn about LVM was to install
them.

So I had debian on this old machine and I run the xubuntu alternate
installer and, after telling it I want to manually partition the disk
(because I don't want it to wipe out my existing NTFS partition) it shows
the ntfs (for windows) and the ext3 and swap left over from the debian
installation. I delete the ext3 and swap partitions. I then tell it I want
to configure the LVMs and when I select "modify volume groups" and then
select "create volume groups" it says "No physical volumes (i.,e.,
partitions) were found on your disk.

Well, well, I guess this is no surprise. So then I tell the partitioner to
partition the remaining free space and it dutifully creates ext3 and swap
partitions and then I try again with the "modify volume groups" and "create
volume groups". Same error!

I guess it would help if I knew what I was doing! Fedora and SuSE sure make
it simple and create LVMs for you in the remaining free space without
clobbering my windows partition, however.

How do I mimic the Fedora and SuSE installer's feature of creating LVMs with
the xubuntu installer?

Can I make several logical volumes so, in addition to booting xubuntu, I can
also boot SuSE and Fedora and then scoot their logical partitions around
later? How would I do that?

Thanks,

Siegfried