[lug] OT: Scanning and OCRing

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Fri Feb 16 06:53:28 MST 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Daniel Webb wrote:

> My understanding is that the SCSI ADF scanners are a lot more likely to work
> than USB (mine is USB).

That was my understanding as well, hence the reason I got a SCSI ADF
scanner. :)

> What software/commands do you use to convert the pile of paper into a PS/PDF?

I use the standard, command line scanimage program that came with SANE to
do the scanning. Then I use the pnm tools to crop and convert the PNM
files generated by scanimage into page sized PNGs, and then into PDFs of
pages. I have a rather ugly shell script that I wrote that does all the
necessary handwaving from controlling the scanner to formatting the images
to files. I avoid GUIs for batch operations such as these, if I can. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |