[lug] Where is the GUI version of SMBClient?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 21:22:12 MST 2007

On 2/16/07, siegfried <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

> I took Collins Richey's advice and tried out xubuntu by clobbering debian. I
> regret, however, I did not write down a great program that debian had as
> part of the default installation. It was a GUI version of smbclient and it
> enumerated all my samba servers on the network and you could click on a
> server and enumerate the samba shares (and then, of course, click on a share
> and enumerate the directory structure beneath that). It was in a menu called
> "show servers" or "show network" or something like that.
>
> Can I use apt-get to install this in xubuntu? Does anyone know the name of
> the program?

Several things:

1) It would be really helpful to know the name of the program you are
looking for! Maybe another Debian user can tell us.

2) With {Xu|Ku|U]buntu, to have the greatest choice of packages,
enable the universe and multiverse repositories (ask if you don't
understand). Once you have done that, apt-get update to get the
current available stuff.

3) Assuming you have the program name, apt-cache search xxxxxx will
tell you if it's available.

4) Assuming that it's available, [sudo] apt-get install xxxxxx will do
the trick.

5) If it's missing, it may be possible to get it from a Debian
repository, and sometimes this will install and work ok, other times
not. The usual method to install a Debian (.deb) package is [sudo]
dpkg -i xxxxxx.deb. You may need to resolve (pontetially lots of)
dependancies to install the .deb.

The [sudo]s above depend on whether you are root are not. I always do
[sudo su -] to run as actual root instead of prefixing everything with
sudo in Ubuntu fashion. YMMV.

Happy digging,

--
Collins Richey