[lug] Favorite IDEs for linux?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 15:59:30 MST 2007

On 2/17/07, siegfried <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

> Hmmm…
>

> What is your favorite Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Linux?
>

> I noticed that FC6 had an interesting IDE called KDevelop. Does that have a
> gnome counterpart or do I have to install KDE to get that? Now FC6 I believe
> gives you your choice of KDE or gnome with some radio buttons on the login
> screen (if I remember correctly). If I were to install KDE on ubuntu would
> it also give me a radio button on the login screen so I get a choice between
> the two? If I installed KDE would I then be able to install KDevelop? I
> would like to play with KDevelop.
>

> As you might know, eclipse is IBM's $43M open source IDE and it is a
> favorite with a lot of java programmers. It also has special modes for C++,
> C#, python, perl, ruby etc…
>

> I wanted to install eclipse on ubuntu 6.06.1 and figured I should install
> java first. I see the java that was installed with the distribution is
> 1.4.2. Why is this so old? Where is java 1.6? When I try to go to the sun
> site and install java 1.6, it complained that there was no directory called
> "/bin" and when I fixed that with the "ln –s" command it complained some
> more about some unresolved dependences.
>

> I did apt-cache search eclipse and found a couple of entries – something
> about "ejc transitional". So I tried installing those with "apt-get install"
> and received no errors. I went to the menus under applications->develop
> expecting to see a menu entry for eclipse but all I could find was emacs!
>

> Hmmm… If I could install a more recent java, I would go to the eclipse site
> and get eclipse there. Has anyone had success with installing java 1.6 on
> linux? How about java 1.5? If so, how did you do it? Which distro did you
> use? I had similar problems with SuSE and Fedora.
>

> Sun just made a big ruckus about GPLing java about a month or so ago. I went
> to their site and they were bragging that java compiled on ubuntu. Do you
> suppose the linux community is a little behind the times on updating their
> repositories that apt-get uses?
>

> I remember FC 4 came with eclipse already installed but it was compiled with
> gjc instead of sun's java. Last fall I used eclipse everyday to write java
> but I could not figure out how to even write "hello world" using the eclipse
> compiled with gjc. I want the version of eclipse compiled with sun's java.

Hi Siegfried,

My favorite IDE for Linux is none <grin> since I don't need one.

1. You will do yourself a big favor if you learn all about
http://www.ubuntuforums.org.
    A ittle bit of searching there will provide you valuable information about
    your chosen distro.

2. Yes, KDevelop is a KDE package. If you install kubuntu-desktop in
    addition to what you have (ubuntu-desktop) you will be given the
    opportunity to use either gdm (gnome) or kdm (kde) as the login
    manager. In either case, you can select kde or gnome as the
    session at each login.

3. I don't know much about Java, but there is plenty of information about
    using Sun Java on the forum recommended above. Sign up for the
    forum and ask your questions about Elipse and Java there.

I'm not trying to turn you off asking questions here, but there is a
better source of information - the community of Ubuntu users. I
reference it daily or more frequently. There will be the occasional
question that no one on the forums can answer, but most of them are
well treated.

Enjoy.

--
Collins Richey