[lug] Favorite IDEs for linux?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 16:34:10 MST 2007

siegfried wrote:

> Hmmm…
>
> What is your favorite Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Linux?

I don't like IDEs per se, but I do like a savvy editor. There are a lot
of quirks and problems with it, but when I want an editor that can move
around and understand C++, I'll sometimes use source navigator (it's
available somewhere on sourceforge.net).

The editor I use the most is vi. The editors I use for something more
complicated might be nedit or kate. I'd like kate a whole lot more if it
just had real project bookmark abilities (there was an attempt at some
sort of project plugin, but it doesn't seem to work very well, or not at
all).

KDevelop is dedicated more to developing specifically KDE apps under Qt.
Eclipse seems to also be oriented towards specialty environments. What
I'd really like is a modern upgrade of source navigator.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net