[lug] Vim maps / vimrc files for html editing

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Feb 19 09:47:26 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 14:20 -0700, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
[snip]
> Is there away for vim to do substitutions across multiple files that are
> in the same directory or lower as teh current file you're applying the
> substittion to?  The idea is that once you finish the substitutions in teh
> current file, it loads the next file, etc and applies teh substitution.
> If you want, you can have it prompt you to confirm the replacement as well
> versus doing it all automatically.

I use perl -i for these things.  I have a pretty complicated script that
rewrites the HTML and Javascript for Baen e-books I download.

A simple substitution is really easy.  It'd be something like:
find -name '*.c' | xargs perl -p -i -e 's/blah/foo/g'

You can give the perl -i option an extension for backup copies if you
like.  I usually have the files in version control and cvs diff shows me
the changes.  Otherwise I can use a copy of the file in a tmp directory,
which is what I do with the e-books, or I can use -i.bak and do:

find -name '*.bak' | while read x; do diff ${x%.bak} $x; done

This is a sort of after-action confirmation.  If I see something I don't
like in the diff, I revert everything and try again.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>