[lug] Xen and 2.6.20? Has anyone tried it out?

Nick Golder nrg at nirgo.net
Mon Feb 19 13:51:10 MST 2007

On 2007-02-14 23:00 -0700, siegfried wrote:
> Has anyone tried out the new kernel (2.6.20)? I'm reading
> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3658001 and I don't
> understand it.
>
> The article says: "Putting Xen into Linux doesn't make sense".

Some see KVM and Xen as redundant methods for virtualization.

> Is this new Xen hypervisor support for Windows (and other OSes) part of the
> 2.6.20 kernel or not?

No, Xen is not apart of the kernel.

<snip>
Pratt also explained that Xen is no longer actively seeking inclusion in
the mainline Linux kernel either.
</snip>

> If I can run the 2.6.20 kernel, is buying vmware to run windows on top of
> linux superfluous?

Most likely.  Unless, of course, you want everything that goes with a
commercial offering like VMWare.

> What models of CPUs do I need to take advantage of this? I'm was hoping to
> find this at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.20
> but searching for "xen" became tedious after a while. Where is the list of
> CPUS that support this?

You want to look for an Intel processor with VT extensions or the AMD
processor with SVM extensions.

> Thanks,
> Siegfried

-Nick Golder