[lug] Migrating users

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Thu Feb 22 12:12:03 MST 2007

Paul asked:

> I'm wondering if I can just copy /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd files to
> the new server or will I have to actually add the users manually.

I'd recommend cut-and-paste on just the user names.  There will be a lot
of other "system users" such as root, bin, mysql, nobody, etc. and
you'll probably want to leave them alone on the new server.  But there
shouldn't be a problem copying the user lines from shadow and passwd to
the new server.

Of course you'll need to make sure the ownership of the users'
directories on the new server matches their UIDs and GIDs.  But if
you're using rsync or tar or something that preserves ownership to
migrate the files, you should be fine.

HTH,
Jeff