[lug] Post install fest ques: Fedora xen-kernel is DNS blind and sharing a printer!

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Feb 26 13:38:41 MST 2007

>    1. Thanks to Kevin, I have both a xen kernel and a non-xen kernel for
>       fedora core 6. The non-xen kernel sees the internet fine. The xen
>       kernel can ping 4.2.2.2 but cannot seem to deal with domain names.
>       I see I’m using DHCP with the xen kernel because I see it
>       (ifconfig) is assigned with a valid lan address and I can ping my
>       router. How can I fix this?

I haven't tried switching regularly between Xen/non-Xen kernels but is
it possible you might need a separate iptables config for each setup?
In non-Xen mode your device is probably as simple as eth0, eth1, etc,
but in Xen mode you have to consider xenbr0, peth0, vif0.0 and such
depending on your xend-config.sxp setup.

Try turning off iptables while in Xen mode to test..
-Ken