[lug] Firefox chroot

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Mon Feb 26 18:07:05 MST 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:23:44AM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> Another approach is to run Firefox with the NoScript extension.  It
> disables all javascript/flash.

Well, that's an idea, but quite a lot of sites are designed by know-nothing
bozos who think javascript is the best way to create a link.  Unfortunately,
several of those sites are critical to me professionally right now.
Ironically, one of them uses javascript so broken that it only works if I turn
javascript off.

What I'm wondering is: does my idea of putting a minimal distro with Firefox
in a chroot accomplish the goal of preventing an attacker from viewing or
changing stuff in my home directories?  Or does the X connection compromise
what I'm doing?  I don't understand enough about how X works at the low level
to answer that for myself.