[lug] Remove files not owned by anyone.

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 15:14:54 MST 2007

Paul Nowosielski wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>I have a weird problem. I'm migrating users of postfix to  new server.
>After taring up the virtual directory and migrating I noticed this with one of
>the accounts:
>?????????? ? ?          ?             ?                ? courierimapuiddb
>?????????? ? ?          ?             ?                ? maildirfolder
>
>These two files are owened by ? and can't be removed !

I'm wondering if there is a filesystem corruption. Can you fsck the
partition? And check out getfattr, for ACL (access control list, an
extended attribute system).

>Ex:
>
># rm courierimapuiddb
>rm: cannot remove `courierimapuiddb': Permission denied
>
>This is as root.

ACLs could stop removal. So could SElinux roles. If there is a
corruption in the filesystem, I could see that also stopping it. The "?"
owner part would tend to make me think of corruption, as these should
show up as a number in cases where no group/owner can be identified by name.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net