[lug] Remove files not owned by anyone.

bgiles at coyotesong.com bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Feb 28 15:40:17 MST 2007

> # ls -n
> ls: cannot access courierimapuiddb: Permission denied
> ls: cannot access maildirfolder: Permission denied
> total 384
> drwx------ 2 1001 59 389600 2007-02-24 01:29 courierimapkeywords
> ?????????? ? ?    ?       ?                ? courierimapuiddb
> drwx------ 2 1001 59   3128 2007-02-24 01:29 cur
> ?????????? ? ?    ?       ?                ? maildirfolder
> drwx------ 2 1001 59     48 2005-06-23 09:56 new
> drwx------ 2 1001 59     48 2007-01-29 10:05 tmp
>

>  # lsattr
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./cur
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./new
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./tmp
> ./courierimapuiddb: Permission denied
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags
> on ./courierimapkeywords
> ./maildirfolder: Permission denied

The 'inappropriate ioctl' just means that the FS doesn't support extended
attributes, so we can rule out the files being marked 'immutable' or
anything.  I don't think this rules out ACLs, but we've eliminated one
common cause for files being undeletable by root.

I agree with the advice to fsck to verify that the FS isn't corrupted.

Is this on the original or cloned system?  If the latter, what does it
look like on the original system?

It might also useful to verify the tar file, but I don't know tools for
doing this.