[lug] new install

Brian Talley b225ccc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:13:39 MST 2007

I would agree with Chip about Ubuntu.  I'm not experienced in a
massive amount of distros, but, so far, Ubuntu has been the most
user-friendly.  Also, given the amount of memory on your X30, you may
want to check out Xubuntu (xubuntu.org).

The VMWare idea is a good one, as well.  When I was first
experimenting with Linux, I obtained a second hard drive and used that
until I was comfortable with dual-booting (or Linux only... or
whatever you want).  I can't comment on installing with your lack of
internal CD-ROM, unfortunately.  If you can't go either of these
routes, at the least, I would recommend freeing up some hard drive
space and going with a dual-boot configuration.  That way, if you're
Linux install gets botched, you can [hopefully] still have a working
OS.

Some other resources that help me with my ThinkPad are:
www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html
www.thinkwiki.org

Have fun,
BST