[lug] new install

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Mar 5 15:27:35 MST 2007

Chip Atkinson wrote:
> For distributions, I really like Ubuntu.  It seems geared towards getting
> users up and going pretty easily.
>
> Have you considered trying linux under vmware first?  It may be that your
> machine isn't powerful enough to give a good first impression and others
> can probably comment more on that, but if you are scared about not having
> a way to back out, that may be one way to go.

My guess is that trying to run a Windows host and Linux guest on one
machine with 128M of RAM would probably be a very painful experience.  I
can't say I've tried on that small of a machine, but I have 2G of RAM on
my home desktop and running WinXP as a guest on occasion can still bog
things down some..
-Ken