[lug] new install

John W. O'Brien obrienjw at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:21:42 MST 2007

Bob,

Firstly, you've given us your computer's specs, but haven't said
anything about your reasons for "leaping," your expectations with regard
to ease-of-use, application support, etc, or your comfort and
familiarity with computer tinkering. You'll probably get better
advice---and therefore have a better first experience with Linux---if we
can discuss some of those things too.

Having said that, I will second some of the opinions offered so far. In
particular, a live CD would be a really nice way to see what you're
getting yourself into. I use Knoppix as a repair/rescue/tinkering tool,
and happen to know that it does some clever things like optionally store
your Linux-related preferences and personal files on a USB flash drive,
which would help give a more complete picture of what to expect when you
switch to a hard drive install.

Next, if you have a little extra desk space and a few extra dollars, you
might think about poking around sites like Craig's List or eBay for a
used desktop system (e.g. something in a similar performance range as
your laptop might run you $150). Compare that to the peace of mind that
you'll get by not having to endanger your working system. Whenever
tinkering with something new, my preferred setup has two computers: the
one I'm working on, and the one I'm working with (for when, not if, the
other one breaks).

Good luck!

-John