[lug] tips on upgrading a WRT54G

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Mar 12 09:00:48 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 08:23 -0600, steve at badcheese.com wrote:
> I've done the dd-wrt upgrade (router works better now than with the
> linksys firmware) on a V5 WRT54G.  The only thing that I'd worry about is
> the rev of your router.  It sounds like since you've had it for 2 years
> that it's an earlier rev and it'll be easy to upgrade, but make sure you
> know the rev of your AP before you upgrade because there are different
> procedures for different revs.

Just as a follow up:

I installed DD-WRT on Saturday for my V3.x WRT54G.  Took about 2 hours,
being extremely cautious. My original problem was the router blocking or
dropping lots of connections when we visited a page with lots of
thumbnail images.  After the upgrade those connections were not only not
dropped but the perceived throughput was much better.  Pages appear to
load faster, though that might just be our imagination.

Anyway, it's a pretty simple and painless process.  At least for my
router and in my situation.

Of course, I just discovered I can't login to home from work.  Grrr.
Probably just a configuration problem, though.  I'll fix that tonight.

Thanks for all the tips.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org