[lug] Spam question

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 17:20:06 MDT 2007

This might be a very simple and dumb question but i'll
ask it anyway.

Why do spammers send those rediculous emails with
gibberish in them?

Obviously they do it to get past the various spam
filters because it "looks" like real mail to the
filter.  But other than the thrill (and i hardly
consider it a thrill) of achieving that rather mundane
feat that some psychos get from the experience, is
there any good reason why they do it?  I mean i can
think of about a million other things i'd rather do
then get my rocks off by seeing if i can defeat a spam
filter with gibberish.. it just makes no sense to me
why someone would waste their time doing it.

The only thing i can think of is that they are fishing
to see if an address is valid or not so that later
they can send a "real spam" message hoping that
someone will bite.

But i'm not exactly sure how that would validate an
email address.  No bounce back?  Do automated scripts
check at the SMTP level for confirms or something?

Anyway, just wondering if there's something deeper to
this mass of turd mail i get that isn't even legible.

thanks