[lug] Unusual cron checks

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Mar 16 10:44:09 MDT 2007

I noticed yesterday and today that yum was getting stuck during a
nightly cron task.  I'm not sure which cron task it is yet, but I before
I killed it off I noticed some unusual awk statements.  After I killed
it off I saw similar statements for other cron tasks, such as:

 1710 ?        S      0:00 crond
 1711 ?        Ss     0:00 /bin/bash /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily
 1719 ?        S      0:00 /bin/sh /etc/cron.daily/0check4updates
 1720 ?        S      0:00 awk -v
progname=/etc/cron.daily/0check4updates progname {?????   print progname
":\n"?????   progname="";????       }????       { print; }

Those question marks seem odd.  Anyone seen anything like this before?

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org