[lug] Samba Help

gordongoldin at aim.com gordongoldin at aim.com
Wed Mar 21 14:05:40 MDT 2007

I am moving the Samba server to a newer machine.

Installed Samba and copied the contents of /etc/samba to the new machine.

Created the user/password on the new machine; set permissions on the user directories.
ssh'd in with that user and looked at the directories to make sure that I had everything OK.
Used smbpasswd to make sure passwords matched.

After having problems, I changed the share to be totally public, see below.
Restarted several times, rebooted everything.

On the XP PC, when I go to My Network Places, or when I type the new IP address at "Run",
I can see both old and new:
ICARE Samba Server(Icare)
ICARE Samba Server 2(Icare2)

I can expand both and they show the icare-share and home directories.

But if I double-click on the new one or try to map a network drive, I always get:
The network path \\Icare2\icare-share cannot be found.

Thoughts??

smb.conf:
        workgroup = mygroup
        server string = ICARE Samba Server 2