[lug] Using hostname

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 17:12:03 MDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Bill Thoen <bthoen at gisnet.com> wrote:
> I've got a Fedora Core 5 system, and I tried to change the system name
> using:
>
> hostname new_name
>
> When I did that it seemed to work (uname -a showed the new system name)
> but then when I tried to open another terminal window from the gnome
> gui, it wouldn't open. I had to change the name back to
> localhost.localdomain to get it to work again.
>
> So how do I change the system name so that I can still open new terminal
> windows (with everything else also working as before) and I see
> bthoen at new_name$ as my prompt?
>
> Or is this yet another thing that *is nicht fur gewerken by das *dumkopfen*

1. You probably need to gogout (for shure) and possiby reboot if the
hostname is changed.

2. verify that your /etc/hosts file is valid for the new changed name.
Should be something like one of the following

Normal way
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
youripaddr yourfqdn yourhostname

Idiotic new ubuntu/debian way
127.0.0.1       localhost [optioally yourhostname]
127.0.1.1       yourfqdn    yourhostname

--
Collins Richey