[lug] Using hostname

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Mar 27 17:37:53 MDT 2007

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Hostname changes require a network restart.  It may require a reboot,
> but I'm not positive of that.  Also, assuming a reboot is not necessary,
> you need to logout of your GNOME session and then log back in.  The
> current session has probably cached the hostname in your terminal prompt
> based on the original GDM login.  New terminal windows inherit that
> setting and don't actually query the system for it.

That was it. Hostname doesn't require a reboot, but I had to log out of
my gnome session and log back in again. Then I could get  a terminal
window sporting my new hostname in the prompt. I also added the new name
to /etc/hosts in front of localhost.localdomain. Them to make it
permanent, I edited /etc/sysconfig/network and changed the HOSTNAME
variable there to the same thing and rebooted. Everything came up
smelling like roses!

Thanks, folks!
- Bill Thoen