[lug] Using hostname

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Mar 27 17:39:46 MDT 2007

Bill Thoen wrote:
> I've got a Fedora Core 5 system, and I tried to change the system name
> using:
>
> hostname new_name
>
> When I did that it seemed to work (uname -a showed the new system name)
> but then when I tried to open another terminal window from the gnome
> gui, it wouldn't open. I had to change the name back to
> localhost.localdomain to get it to work again.
>
> So how do I change the system name so that I can still open new terminal
> windows (with everything else also working as before) and I see
> bthoen at new_name$ as my prompt?
>
> Or is this yet another thing that *is nicht fur gewerken by das *dumkopfen*
>
> - Bill Thoen
> *

My experience with name changes on RH was:

1. do it from a tty
2. fix /etc/hosts (as noted already)
3. make sure gdm gets restarted (ctrl-alt-bksp at the gui login screen
does that)

there's also bound to be a nifty gui tool to do it (maybe
system-config-network), but you may get more than you want by using one
of those tools (e.g. committing to use that tool for all future network
changes).

Hugh