[lug] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Apr 16 18:56:40 MDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 05:25:50PM -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
>I'm thinking about getting a 64bit laptop so I can run 64bit FC5/FC6 however I
>must have wireless working.  Any suggestions?

I tend to avoid 64-bit unless the system has 4GB or more of RAM, and even
then I avoid it unless a single process needs access to more than 2GB of
RAM at a slice.  Things like drivers having issues, Flash not being
available native (you can get it working via using a 32-bit browser),
etc...

You do realize there won't be any performance improvements, correct?  One
MySQL benchmark I saw actually showed a slight decrease on 64-bit.

That said, most modern laptops will come with CPUs that will handle running
a 64-bit distro.  I'd probably pick a system with a Core 2 Duo laptop chip,
with VT functionality.

Sean
--
 *** Quits: TITANIC (Excess Flood)