[lug] video4linux cardlists

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Wed Apr 18 17:51:46 MDT 2007

>> When you use tivo to record dv, it sounds like it's *not* copy
>> protected.
>> So you can copy, archive and replay this on other *multiple* devices
>> like
>> multiple computers on your home network (example above).  Is this
>> correct?
>
> It is copy protected, but there are apps out there to remove the
> protection.
>
>> Also, the 'tivo' software you mention above - is that 3rd party os sw or
>> does tivo itself provide it?
>
> The Tivo Desktop is free from the tivo.com website.

Not being thickheaded here( or maybe i am ;-))just trying to understand.
Ok so is it the tivo sw that allows you to copy the files off the recorder
to the hd or those 3rd party apps?  It would seem that if tivo was copy
protected their sw would NOT allow you to copy stuff off the recorder to a
remote hd.  However maybe the files are encrypted or something which means
they can only be played off the tivo device (loaded back to the player and
played again).

If that's the case then the tivo sw provides all the moving files back and
forth/naming them etc.  But that third party app cracks it for general
playback.  yes?

if so, what 3rd party app do you use?

>> I wouldn't mind seeing your scripts if you could post them.
>
> I'm in NYC now, but will post it to the list when I get back.  Too bad I
> can't ssh into my windows machine.  :)

cool! thanks