[lug] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Apr 19 04:11:12 MDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 08:09:27PM -0600, steve at badcheese.com wrote:
>Dell's laptops come with 4GB max, same with IBM's top of the line.
>Alienware is still maxxing out at 2GB of ram.  Nothing over 4GB that I

I looked a while ago and there were ~$100 motherboards for Core 2 Duo that
would take up to 8GB.  The current lower-end servers we deploy for hosting
have just recently been bumped from 4 to 8GB on the specs, and they see to
run similar chipsets as the desktop boards.  These are for P4/Celeron/PD
systems.  The Xeons are 32GB.

So, I'd say it's starting to get there.  The problem with laptops is that
the 4GB memory upgrade for a laptop makes the server RAM look cheap.  ;-/

Sean
--
 I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in
 my body.  Then I realized who was telling me this.  -- Emo Phillips