[lug] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Apr 19 04:13:59 MDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 12:52:45PM -0600, steve at badcheese.com wrote:
>single process.  Many performance improvements can be achieved with
>dual-core and it'll be much more noticable than running in 64-bit mode.

I still don't think there's a performance improvement of going with 64-bit
on the same system unless you have some very particular needs (>32-bit int
math maybe, huge process memory space).  In fact your message has made me
expect it to be worse.  All that extra resident space is more bits that
have to be shoved across the bus, etc...  As we've seen with IPv6, adding
more bits that you aren't using impacts performance...

Sean
--
 I'm one of the leading experts in the field of Data Mimeing.  Unfortunately,
 I'm not allowed to TELL you anything about it.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1997