[lug] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Apr 19 20:40:21 MDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 07:54:28PM -0600, Ian S. Nelson wrote:
>http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=616&num=3

Thanks for that pointer.

>stuff to be fairly well optimized and hardware sensitive.  The shocking
>one to me was how the 64bit one had a big gap on compiling performance.

It was "only" 10%, but yeah, it was pretty surprising the difference there.
I'd be willing to bet there are there were some significant changes in the
config or build environment between them.  This is one of the reasons that
using the kernel build as a benchmark is not recommended.

The LAME build only showed a 4% difference, for example.  So, I'd suspect
the 10% difference.

In general, I consider anything under 5% to be noise.  This is based on
work I did on the Python benchmarking.  Even getting the same code on the
same machine to generate the same results within a few percent can be
tough.

>64 does sound sexier than 32 but it's clearly not a huge advantage in
>many ways,  it's pretty clearly not disadvantage in any measurable way
>either.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Sean
--
 Having been an entrepreneur, I value being a wage-slave in new ways.  I also
 more fully understand why I hate it.  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1999