[lug] Time for a change

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Apr 29 15:33:35 MDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:33:47AM -0700, Glenn Ashton wrote:
>There is part of me that thinks having a meeting place and time that is
>regular with easy parking would be helpful.  Ah, for the days at NIST...

A regular meeting place is important.  I think the biggest problem with
BLUG over the last few years has been that it was run as a presentation
meeting, but nobody really took ownership of getting speakers.  Chris did a
very good job of getting the regular meeting location, but nobody stepped
up to make the speakers happen.  The request for 2 or 3 people to make up a
"speakers committee" went completely unanswered.

Now, there hasn't really been much discussion in response to Chris'
question "What do you want BLUG to be" (I'm not responding because I won't
likely be a regular attendee, being in Fort Collins)...  However, I would
say the lack of a response to the speakers committee request provides a
pretty good answer to that part.  I mean, if nobody values having speakers
at the meeting enough that they are willing to spend the 2 to 3 hours *PER
YEAR* to get the speakers, then a change in format is probably appropriate.

It's great that you're looking for another space for the meetings, but what
is that space going to be used for?  If it's to continue the current
presentation-oriented format, who is going to get the presenters?  The only
reason there were presenters at the meetings recently was that Chris was
doing some last minute work to make up for the lack of anyone taking
ownership for getting presenters.

Don't take this the wrong way, I just mean to make sure this issue gets
resolved.  Without ownership, it's just going to get worse.

Thanks for your leadership over the past several years, Chris.  Of course,
this comes at a time when I am putting your contact information on the
lug.boulder.co.us domain name when transferring it to the new .us domain
registration provider.  I'm still listed as technical contact, so we should
be good, but once someone else comes along to take your place, we should
get that updated.

Sean
--
 Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the
 things we did not do that is inconsolable.  -- Sidney J. Harris