[lug] Re: New Meeting Place

Vince Dean vdean at ucar.edu
Fri May 4 13:53:46 MDT 2007

Nagios and system monitoring ...

A few months ago, I asked this group for suggestions
on tools for network/system monitoring.  One of the suggestions
was Nagios, which I adopted with some success.  I could
make a presentation on my experiences, if there were interest.
I spoke about Nagios at the last demo day, and could expand that
into a full presentation.

This would be from the perspective of an application
developer/operations manager whose systems have grown
complex enough that they are hard to monitor.  I started
using Nagios to monitor the interfaces that we offer
to outside users.  I don't like coming to work on Monday
and finding that our users in England have been inconvenienced
for the better part of a day by something I could have
fixed on Saturday.

Overall, Nagios has been a good choice, and I would
recommend it to others, though it has consumed more of
my time than I hoped.

What I don't know is whether Nagios is old news or whether
it would be of general interest.

Vince

--
Vince Dean
SIPS Operations Manager- Center for Limb Atmospheric Sounding