[lug] 32 bit O/S on 64 bit hardware

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Mon May 7 05:49:30 MDT 2007

Hi,

I'm running AMD-64 hardware with a Suse 64 bit O/S.  When I install
various math packages I run into plenty of trouble between some
packages expecting 32 bit libraries, some expecting 64 bit libraries,
and link failures.  Can't we all just get along?

So my thought is to force everything to 32 bit.  If I were to install
a Debian 32 bit O/S, would the "configure" and "setup.py" scripts
honor the 32 bit O/S and always build 32 bit libraries and
executables?

Or would some of the setup and configure scripts try to build 64 bit
libraries and executables anyway?

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Sullivan    sullivan at mathcom.com