Future of BLUG WAS: Re: [lug] Re: New Meeting Place

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Tue May 8 16:39:42 MDT 2007

On 5/5/07, Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 09:33:50AM -0600, Nick Golder wrote:
> >So is HS more of an informal LUG?  I got a much different feeling from
>
> Hacking Society is, really, what the attendees make it.
<snip>
> I always intended it to be OS agnostic, but mostly it gets announced to the
> Linux folks so Linux folks mostly are the attendees.  :-)

In Boulder, Hacking Society and BLUG are intersecting sets.  On those
Thursdays when BLUG meets, I've heard that Hacking Society still meets
but is a noticeably smaller group.

> I believe Chris was using some sort of system to build the web site.  Let
> me know if anything in particular is needed.  Using the google tools sounds
> like a good plan to me.

I thoroughly agree.  Anybody who is interested in what I've written
would benefit most from a pretty small chunk of Ruby code I wrote that
finds the second Thursday of the month, and if that's already passed,
then the second Thursday of next month.

Everything else was a really quick hack involving a YAML file
describing a list of speakers, email addresses, talks, rooms, etc.
that would get embedded in a little erb (embedded ruby) template.

Anyone with a lettle web/database experience (Rails, I was thinking)
and less painful wrists could throw together something to manage and
present all that information... and it would take about a weekend, I
suspect.

But I've been cutting back on software development, so I haven't done
it, in spite of wanting to.  Realism kicks in: my wrists won't heal if
I keep typing.

I have no intention of simply disappearing overnight.  I want BLUG to
continue in some form; it just has to change hands.  Preferably to
*more* hands.

--
epistemological humility
  Chris Riddoch