[lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed May 9 06:19:13 MDT 2007

fred.robinson at sipfusion.com wrote:
> I installed Fedora 6 Zod on a standard IDE drive.  During the
> installation I used the default Linux partitioning and didn't install
> RAID.  I've determined that I need RAID support for disk mirroring.  Do
> I need to re-install Fedora and setup the installation as RAID or can I
> add a RAID card and install a package for RAID support on the existing
> installation?  Of course I'm hoping I can add RAID after the fact and
> that do not have re-install, if this be the case what is the name of
> the package to install?  Can the package be installed with 'yum'?
>
> Pardon my ignorance, RAID is new territory for me and I'm frankly
> uninformed about how it works and I've had no success on the various
> Linux/Fedora support boards finding answers.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Fred Robinson

Try this site for general overview: http://www.wlug.org.nz/RaidOnLinux

If you are interested in just adding data on RAID, then you can buy an
add-in card (beware the fakeraid cheapo cards) and attach your
non-system disks to it.  Usu. the real/good hardware cards will have a
configuration utility that can be accessed just after bios POST to set
up the disks and configure the RAID.  After that, it's a kernel module
to recognize the RAID as a single device, mkfs, add it to /etc/fstab and
mount it.

If you want to put the system disk on RAID, then it is probably easier
just to reload it.

Hugh