[lug] Tyan - Typhoon DX-630 Personal Supercomputer ? Good Thing?

bgiles at coyotesong.com bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu May 10 16:07:36 MDT 2007

I would just look at a blade server.  It should have all of the stuff
beyond the motherboard (e.g., redundant power supplies, high-speed
networking between blades, etc.), and be trivial to add additional compute
resources later.

To ask an obvious question, do you have your software already?  If so,
find the hardware it runs on.  If not, figure out what's easiest to use --
I remember looking at a "parallel processing" version of RH (iirc) many
years ago.  It was basically a stock distribution plus a few additional
semi-standard libraries and a control app or two.  Nothing you couldn't do
yourself with a modest amount of effort, but a prepackaged suite might be
easier to sell to the suits.