[lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri May 11 17:22:38 MDT 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007 15:24:08 -0600 (MDT) "Nate Duehr" wrote:
> > Although "me too" posts are typically silly, I concur with Kevin
> > (and Sean) here.  I've been using software RAID for many years--
> > across many kernel upgrades-- and never once had a problem.  The
> > tools are awesome, and in the few instances where I had a drive go
> > bad, I was able to drop in a new drive, reboot, and watch as the
> > machine automatically realized there was a new drive and started
> > its resynchronization.
> >
> > Given my experience with Linux software RAID, I've never had a need
> > to even look into hardware RAID solutions.
>
> If you have the luxury of being allowed to reboot, you're fine with
> most software RAID implementations.
>
> Perfectly working hardware RAID is important in "no downtime"
> environments, like telecom and banking and a few others.
>
> I have customer's machines that haven't been booted in years.

While people are providing their RAID views I'd like to chime in with
one.

At my last place of employment they had a number of 3ware RAID systems
storing a few TB each of data on SATA arrays.  One went sour.  And I
don't mean one of the disks -- the 3ware controller suffered some sort
of internal error (firmware related is my recollection) and all of the
disks in one array (a few TB) were scrambled.  After multiple recovery
efforts the information was eventually declared a loss.

From my (admittedly limited) perspective, HW RAID is by not one bit more
reliable than SW RAID.

Ed

--