[lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon May 14 13:02:48 MDT 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 7:54 PM, Dan Ferris wrote:

> Hey Nate, what do you guys do with the Sun system disks?  Obviously
> for data, you would use something like an EMC or Hitachi array with
> redundant active/active controllers, redundant power supplies,
> redundant fans, etc.  In our V240s and T2000s there is no hardware
> RAID.  You have to use Solaris Volume Manager for mirroring and the
> drives are easily hot swappable.  I also know that the E450 and
> E450R have no hardware RAID either.  I'm not sure about the higher
> end Sun hardware.  I never got to play much with the V1280s we had
> at Webex.

System disk can either be internal or external, Solaris doesn't care...

Our typical setup has the "system" disk on a pair of internal
mirrored disks, software or hardware depending on what the server
itself will support, and then dual shared external arrays between two
redundant servers in an HA configuration for everything but the bare
minimum to get the box booted.

The boxes have quad Ethernet cards that handle one heartbeat link and
three "internal" network links to various equipment in the racks, and
even the Cisco switches there are redundant with a couple of tweaks
to spanning-tree done to handle quick failovers between Suns.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com