[lug] advice on disk error messages

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed May 16 14:18:00 MDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 08:31:01AM -0600, Warren Sanders wrote:
>The 'UncorrectableError' is probably a very good indication that your
>drive is going bad at sector 120308751.

Yes, but bad block remapping may make it so that the drive continues to
provide service after rebuilding the array.  I'd consider replacing the
drive if this was a production server, if it was a personal server I'd
probably just remove it from the array, run a "badblocks" on the partition
in question in read/write mode, and then add it back in if it's clean.
badblocks can exercise the drive and cause badblock remapping to do it's
thing.  If no bad blocks are reported, it may be fine to leave in service.

Sean
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/