[lug] RAID 5 Question

steve at badcheese.com steve at badcheese.com
Fri May 25 13:37:25 MDT 2007

If the RAID5 was layed-out like:

RAW RAW RAW PARITY, then you can lose one drive.
RAW RAW PARITY HOTSWAP, then you can lose two drives.

Most people don't use a hot-swap drive, so I'm guessing your setup is like
the first option, so the answer to your question is yes.  If you lose a
second drive there will be issuess recovering the array - you can kiss it
goodbye.  1/3 of your data will be missing and there's no way to recover
from that.

- Steve

EMAIL: (h) steve at badcheese.com  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve