[lug] Fedora 7 is out, but don't yum upgrade

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 1 08:33:04 MDT 2007

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On May 31, 2007, at 2:05 PM, steve at badcheese.com wrote:
>
>> Fedora 7 came out today, but apparently a yum upgrade could nuke your
>> install, so install from CD or DVD is recommended.
>
> Fedora's devs are NEVER going to learn to do it right, are they?
>
> Busted upgrades are release-critical BUGS in Debian, and Debian won't
> allow a release until they're FIXED or at least discussed heavily, and a
> warning put into debconf stating to the end-user that "X package can't
> be upgraded successfully - here's what you need to do to fix it yourself".
>
> Sigh... silly RedHat devs...

This was all but promised behavior so not unexpected.  Back when Red Hat
changed their business model they gave a talk here (the NOAA building
next to NIST).  They were peppered with questions about Fedora,
including the ability to upgrade.  They told us not to expect the
ability to upgrade with Fedora.  Our group abandoned Red Hat and went
with Debian.  For some reason, best I can tell, we were the only group
to do so.  Most (probably every other group) stuck with Red Hat &
Fedora.  I'm not sure why.