[lug] Fedora 7 is out, but don't yum upgrade

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:50:00 MDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> I'm not certain if you
> can upgrade easily with RH Enterprise, but I'd suspect that's something
> they are asked to do often and so would have to support it in RHE.  But
> Fedora doesn't have that requirement because of its stated intent.
>
> Personally, I use Fedora.
>
> I'm also not a fan of .deb packaging.  I've used it before in a project
> and it's a pain compared to RPMs.  But that's just one man's opinion.

Another man's opinion: Debian packaging is superb. You do have several
programs to deal with rather than just RPM and YUM, but that's no big
deal.

Nothing wrong with Fedora. Of the distros I'm familiar with, only
Debian and Gentoo employ the continuous upgrade philosophy (my
preference). Even Ubuntu has the Enterprise install-from-scratch
approach. There is usually an upgrade path, but it's far from bullet
proof, just like RHEL.

--
Collins Richey