[lug] Fedora 7 is out, but don't yum upgrade

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Jun 3 13:57:13 MDT 2007

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:06:08 -0600
tromey at redhat.com (Tom Tromey) wrote:

> Kevin> Just today I used yum to upgrade my old fc6 laptop to f7.
> Kevin> Worked dandy.
>
> I've also seen a report or two of it working.
> I haven't yet tried it myself; I'm a little conservative about
> upgrading, and for yum upgrading I like to let a bunch of risk-takers
> try it first before I do :-)

Happy to help. ;) My old laptop went so smoothly, I will probibly start
in on the rest of my server boxes soon.

> Kevin> I'd personally love to see yum upgrades supported, but I
> Kevin> understand why they might not want to do that...
>
> I'd love it too.  I wonder what the holdup is, given that it often
> already works.  Maybe my configurations are too vanilla to see the
> problems.

Well, my understanding is that there are some odd special cases that
anaconda (the installer/upgrader) handles that yum can't. Things like:
switching lvm from old to lvm2, odd special cases to work around rpm
bugs (like when a package changes a directory to a symlink), etc.
Things that you can do, but really don't want to be doing on a machine
while it's up and running in full multiuser mode.

kevin