[lug] Fedora 7 is out, but don't yum upgrade

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 5 04:20:39 MDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 04:08:45PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
>mentioned thus far.  The subtle problem is that if some package does
>not upgrade cleanly, it's not really the developer's problem in the
>RH world.  The dev can just say, "sorry, not my problem".  When you

Sure, and that's a perfectly reasonable attitude for a developer to have
when the policy is to not support "yum update" between versions.  It's
simply a matter of focus, taking on that requirement is a huge effort, I
would imagine.  It would involve a lot of testing, migration scripts, and
the like.  Fedora has an upgrade process, it is using Anaconda.  So they
have deliberately made the decision to not focus on using yum to do the
updates.

As Kevin has said, this isn't because the developers are being ignorant of
it.  When problems with it are reported, they seem to be fairly responsive.

My experience with Debian has been that even with this focus on doing it,
there are still problems.  I've had significant problems with dist-upgrade
leaving things wedged and requiring manual intervention to go in and fix.
So, even with a focus on doing this, there are still problems with it.

It seems to me that Fedora just doesn't focus on this.  It doesn't mean
Fedora isn't able to be upgraded to new versions, it just means that it's
not done in the same way as Debian.

If it's important to you, get involved in Fedora and help make it happen.

Sean
--
 Actual error message:  "Keyboard not connected.  Press F1 to continue."
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/