[lug] LAMP FTP setup

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jun 6 01:30:45 MDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 10:12 PM, George Sexton wrote:

> As has been beaten to death here, FTP is brain dead. There are
> plenty of free SSH clients, including Windows ones. Make them use SSH.

Wow this is headed off into the ditch.  The guy asked for help for
people who are obviously using his server to host websites, and the
typical tools low-end website writers use have FTP built in.  Many
don't have ssh or don't know how to use it.

Should he teach a few of them how to use better tools like SSH?
Sure... but it doesn't address his problem -- he wants the end-users
of the website to be able to upload to their sites securely.

Personally, I think the overall problem is most elegantly "fixed" by
not doing virtual sites at all, but by virtualization of the "whole"
machine.

I think most hosting providers these days agree... give the end-user
a whole "machine" they can mess with, but the majority won't ever
even ask for shell access... but if they "break out" and wander
around their own filesystem, so what?  Everything in the virtual
machine is "theirs".

It does take a re-design of his setup, and probably beefier hardware
to pull this off, though.

You can spend hours/days/years trying to keep users that should not
"trust" each other on a multi-user box from ever stumbling over each
other, at the cost of great amounts of time -- or you can just give
each user their own virtual box and then work on things like
automating the security and other updates for those virtual machines
in an efficient way that is well-communicated to the end-users.  Or
require them to do it themselves (bad idea - they won't).

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com