[lug] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jun 6 09:14:59 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 21:10 -0600, dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> > A shell script to back them up to someplace under /home,
>
> would you be interested in sharing that script or at least the list of
> various config files that generally need to be backed up?

It's a perl script, and it's primitive.  Not something I spent a lot of
time on.  I usually update it right before each upgrade.  I think I last
used it with FC4->FC5, but I updated it just now to look for files on
FC5 boxes to prep upgrades to FC6.  Or maybe it's time to get in sync
and jump straight to FC7?  Hmmmm.....

http://www.graphics-muse.org/source/configfiles.sh

Keep in mind these are just the config file I hang on to.  There are
lots of other global config files you might want:  ircd, squid,
webalizer, xinetd, yum, ldap, dhcpd, named - the list is long.  One way
to find out if you're interested in these config files (at least on RPM
based systems) is to do

   rpm -qf <filename>

to find the package that file belongs to, then do

   rpm -qi <packagename>

to get information on what package that is.  Then use the RPM command
Sean suggested (he said rpm -Va to find all changed files, but to check
all files for a particular package use rpm -Vf <filename>) to find out
if that file has been modified.  Then decide if you need to hang onto
those changes for use after the upgrade and, if necessary, add it to the
script.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org