[lug] LAMP FTP setup

brad at bradandkim.net brad at bradandkim.net
Wed Jun 6 09:05:26 MDT 2007

> i'm wondering what the safest / best way is to allow
> different site owners to be allowed ftp access to
> their own virtual host directory (or related directory
> aliased into their virtual host directory) on a lamp
> web server.
>
> i'm trying to avoid giving the users system accounts
> to make this work but i don't think that's possible.
>
> anybody have a bulletproof approach?

I used to run a Pro-FTPd setup that used a MySQL db for storing user data.
 The db contained their usernmae, password, website directory, quota
limits and quota used and more.  I think other FTP servers have this
capability as well.  It made hosting virtual sites very easy.

That said, I do agree that FTP should be avoided and a secure solution used.

Brad Crotchett
http://www.bradandkim.net