[lug] LAMP FTP setup

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jun 6 23:01:08 MDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 6:31 PM, karl horlen wrote:

> george's solution seemed pretty simple and keeps the
> sandbox to an absolute minimum.  so do some of the ftp
> solutions.  they didn't seem that intensive.

Yep, pretty good there too.  The nicest thing about this stuff is
that there's always options.  What options would you have if that was
an IIS server?  Not much!  Diversity of code is both Linux's strength
and its weakness.  On servers, I personally feel it's a strenght --
you have an admin in "charge" of tidying up and housekeeping chores
(usually -- even if it's not their primary paid job), and on Desktop
Linux, that same diversity breeds elitism and confusion for new
people.  "What?  You can't get KDE running after they changed all
their internals again and the distro completely repackaged it?  You
must be a dolt!"

> that said, my next server will probably be heading in
> this direction for the sites that really require it.

As the movie says... "Take only what you need to survive!"  (SpaceBalls)

Just offering up ideas.  You're ahead of (too) many admins if you're
already thinking about the next "generation" of your hosting server.
It can be quite fun, enlightening, and satisfying to get a nice
virtual hosting setup going -- but it's work.  No question about that.

So many projects, so little time...

Have fun,
--
Nate Duehr