[lug] server spec

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:21:05 MDT 2007

On 6/8/07, karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've building a centos web server.  I need to buy the
> equipment.  My targeted colo has plenty of guaranteed
> bandwidth.
>

> - 2G Ram (3-4 would be better if i can get under
> budget)

If you don't need ECC RAM, and DDR2 533 or 667 works for you, you can
get Crucial 1 gig DIMMs for $40-$45 each from crucial.com or
newegg.com.

> - 2 disk sata raid 1 mirror (obviously not for speed -
> redundancy)

IIRC, Tummy.com currently recommends Hitachi hard drives.

> - Single P4 3G CPU on a mobo that can handle a dual

My own personal prejudice - if you're using an Intel CPU, put it on an
Intel motherboard.

> cpu upgrade (my biggest dilemna.. not sure if single
> dual core, opteron, xeon for teaming with a later 2nd
> cpu of the same buys me anything right now when i can

I _think_ you'll pay a big premium for a dual-socket motherboard.
IIRC, CPUs need to be near-identical (same stepping version), so you
may have to buy 2 CPUs "later", rather than a twin for your starter
single CPU.

Given the recent emphasis on multiple core CPUs, I think you'd be
better off getting the most advanced single-CPU board, and figure you
can plug in a Core Quattro (or whatever they're calling it then) when
you need more horsepower.

> spend the extra money on RAM which will probably give
> a better price peformance return over teh short term)
> - 1U - needs to fit in colo rack

Don't know if it fits your budget, but I have a strong prejudice for
Antec cases and power supplies.

Calvin